Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Engaged and Underpaid

I have been working at MTV for 4+ years now, part of the reason I took this job was because after one year of service (even as a freelancer) I would have comprehensive health care, dental and a 401k.

Not a bad deal at all.

As it turned out, I got a really steady gig and have been in the same department, at the same desk for pretty much that entire time, working on whatever they throw at me. I can’t take other jobs because of my full time employment here – buy still, my ID says ‘freelance’.

My girlfriend and I recently got engaged and set a date for the fall '08 for our wedding, but are now in the process of trying to get me on her health care through her company, which will cost us an additional $220 a month (because we are not married, these are domestic partner benefits, they are more expensive). And that’s just for medical – no dental. That $220 is a huge chunk of what we had been saving for our wedding.

Well, so much for getting married in ’08. THANKS VIACOM!

-JS


No comments: